No matter how beautiful your smile looks, one of the important factors that make it appear attractive is your teeth. It is only when your teeth appear attractive will it reflect in your smile. Stained teeth not only ruin your smile, it will also ruin your health as well.
We will look into some of the top reasons for teeth stains and how to treat them.
Teeth can appear stained due to external reasons or due to internal factors as well. We can split these reasons into three categories.
1. External Reasons
- A filmy stain that appears on the outside of the teeth belongs to this category.
- The stain that occurs due to things that touch the external surface of the teeth.
- Drinking carbonated drinks, coffee, wine etc..
- Using pan masala and other tobacco products.
- Due to chromogenic bacterial infection.
- Use of certain metals over the teeth.
- Consumption certain medications.
- Lack of Proper Dental Care
When you do not take proper care of your teeth, its color can turn to light brown, black, ash, green, yellow, and orange.
2. Internal Reasons
Teeth stains that occur due to internal problems of the teeth structure belongs to this category.
Usage of medications like tetracycline, minocycline, and doxycycline.
Accidental tooth damages that occurred at a younger age. When the damaged tooth is a permanent one, it could have gradually decolorized and appear stained. This accident could have lead to internal bleeding, this can alter the color of the tooth.
Teeth of certain people can undergo damage due to certain genetic diseases as well. These diseases influence the growth of enamel and teeth.
These reasons can turn the tooth to pink or reddish in color.
3. Age Factor
The third category of teeth stain happens due to aging. Tooth stain in this category can happen due to external or internal reasons. As we age tissues in our teeth will start to turn yellowish in color. Enamel that protects our teeth will undergo erosion. When the teeth start to break due to age or when the tooth undergoes some accident, it undergoes a change in color.
- Doctors will rightly point out the reason for the tooth stain. He will also inform you whether the stain is permanent or a temporary one, and guide you to the appropriate treatment.
- Brushing your teeth two times a day will protect your teeth from external reasons that makes it appear stained.
- If the stain is persistent, then you must approach a dentist and clean your teeth. He will specialized toothpaste and instruments to get rid of certain stains directly.
- The dentist will also advise for bleaching process based on the nature and severity of the stain.
- Doctors will advise for certain changes to food habits.
- Dental flossing method will be advised.
- People who use fake teeth sets will be given instructions on how to take care of their fake teeth from stains.