One in two women has bone density problem. Just a little accident is enough to break your bones if you have calcium deficiency. Or that is what many calcium supplement companies want us to believe through their commercials. Is there any element of truth in it?
Bone is also a tissue. Formation of new cells and disappearance of the old cells is a continuous process in our body. Normally older people have less bone density. When bone density starts to drop beyond a certain limit, it leads to problems.
Bone density also reduces due to calcium and vitamin-D deficiency. This leads to weak bones. Bones will be really soft for newly born babies. As the babies start to grow, their bones get stronger. When bone strength reduces, even a little accident is enough to break the bones.
Can we prevent it?
To keep the bones strong, we need vitamin-D that is obtained from sunlight and exercise. Lacks of these leads to bone mineral density problems.
Vitamin-D is essential to produce calcium. To absorb calcium, bones need Vitamin-D. So the deficiency of vitamin-D leads to the deficiency of calcium. This can trigger diseases like Osteoporosis.
Who is more vulnerable?
Both men and women can be a victim of bone density problem. A lot of women who go through menopause usually have problems with bone density. Apart from these people, those who do a lot of physical work, women with irregular periods, women who have surgically removed their uterus and ovary, who have problems with estrogen hormone secretion, people who do not intake nutritious foods usually have weak bones.
At what age?
Mostly bone density problems do not start till you reach 30 years. So there is no need to fear if you are under this age. A woman who is older than 55 years and men who are over 60 years are more vulnerable to osteoporosis. But in countries like India, men and women who are in the age group of 40 to 50 years do have a bone density problems.
Having broken bones more frequently, Vitamin-D deficiency, wearing glasses at a younger age, osteoporosis, back pain due to calcium deficiency, the feeling of falling down while walking are some of the main symptoms of this problem. If you have any of the above problems, it’s better to consult a Doctor.
How to prevent?
- It’s important to maintain right body weight. Developing the habit of drinking a glass milk in the morning and evening. Almond milk can be consumed once a week. Drinking soy milk, peanut milk does help as well.
- Exposing just born babies to early morning sunlight for about 10 minutes is a good practice. Oil massage for babies is also quite useful with Doctor’s directions.
- Parents need to permit their kids to play in the sunlight
- For women who have surgically removed their uterus and ovary, need to intake foods rich in calcium.
- Including foods like milk, milk products, eggs, almond, sea foods, greens, and orange in your regular diet does help a lot to keep a healthy bone.