According to Ayurveda greasy skin or greasy hair can be due to excess Kapha (water/earth elements). But greasy skin can also be due to the mild increase of pitta (fire and water).
The best approach in Ayurveda to correct greasy skin or hair is to follow a Kapha and pitta-reducing regime:
- Concentrate on eating more bitter and astringent foods.
- Bitter taste has a relatively drying quality, therefore, will help to get rid of excess fluid in the body. Astringent taste is not only drying but also helps to reduce fluid secretion.
- The best examples of these tastes are green vegetables and salads, vegetable soups and steamed veg.
- Avoid excess spicy food as this may lead to more sweating, causing the skin and hair to become oily.
- One of the best herbs to alleviate greasiness of skin and hair is neem. Taking this herb regularly will help cleanse the blood and therefore prevent acne which may be a result of greasy skin.
- Turmeric is another very good herb for this skin issue. A combination of neem and turmeric will show better results.
- Aloe vera juice has been known for a very long time as a skin rejuvenating herb. Try taking allow vera juice with turmeric 2-3 times a day.
- Drinking food-grade rose water regularly will help to reduce grease on the skin and in the hair.
- For people suffering from stress-related greasiness, the herb Brahmi will help to reduce this.
Yoga and Massage
- Perform regular sun salutation followed by moon salutations.
- Cooling breath exercises like the shitali will balance a too-oily complexion.
- Regular Ayurvedic foot massages will help to get rid of heat and fluids from the body.
- Sandalwood and rose paste application helps to reduce grease. Apply and leave for 10 minutes before washing it off. For best results repeat this every four days.
- Splashes of pure rose water on to the face and affected areas will also help a lot. This is best done in the evening before going to sleep.
- Washing your hair with neem shampoo is known to make it a lot less oily. Likewise, any shampoo with sandalwood or rose in it will also help.
- Sweep glycerin and lemon juice over the skin. The same mixture can be applied to the scalp.
- Honey on the skin or scalp will be beneficial
- Aloe vera works on the outside as well as in the inside, so slather the gel over affected areas for a grease-busting fix.