Cold seasons are a big threat for Asthma patients. Early mornings in cold winter are truly a hell for them. This disease is not only seen in old people. Even young kids could have Asthma. Nearly 20% of the world population are affected by this disease.
What is the reason for Asthma?
Inner walls of the wind or breathing pipe get infected during Asthma, and it leads to phlegm like fluid secretion. Due to this, the path through which the air travels gets small. When this happens the person will have difficulties in breathing.
This is not a sudden infection. It happens gradually. There are no clear reasons as to why it happens. But, it could be a hereditary problem or caused due to pollution in the environment. When people with the hereditary history of Asthma live in a polluted environment, they increase their chance for Asthma by up to 200 percent.
What are the tests to detect Asthma
Preliminary tests include X-rays and scans. Then the next level of the test will involve Pulmonary Function test, where a person will be made to blow air through a pipe fitted to a computer. The computer will measure the damage to the lungs based on speed and duration of the blow air. apart from these, tests like Methacholine challenge, nitric oxide test, allergy testing, sputum eosinophils, provocative testing for exercise and cold-induced asthma may also be carried out if needed.
What are the treatments for Asthma?
There are tablets and tonics for this disease. But, the inhaler is usually considered as the best option. Because inhaler uses much less amount of chemicals or medicines as compared to tablets and tonics. So, the side effects of the inhaler are very minimal in comparison. There are two types of inhaler that will be prescribed for Asthma patients. One will prevent the effects of asthma and the other is for preventing asthma. Among these, the one that prevents asthma should be carried around regularly. Another inhaler should only be used in case of problems. But, inhalers are not the best option for patients with heart problems or heart diseases. So, consulting a Doctor is very vital.
Should inhaler be used regularly by Asthma patients?
It should be used till the severeness of the disease subsides. Duration of its usage will depend upon the severeness of the disease. It is necessary to follow Doctor’s instructions on how to use these inhalers.
What the precautions for Asthma Patients?
There are two vital vaccines available for people who suffer from this disease. They should take flu vaccine once a year. Additionally, pneumococcal vaccine should be taken in three installments for 5 years time duration. In this, the conjugate vaccine should be taken in the first year, polysaccharide vaccine should be taken after the first year and booster vaccine should be taken in the fifth year.
Is there a way to prevent Asthma?
- It is very important to keep the living place tidy and in hygienic condition. We should wear a mask while cleaning the home. Beds and pillows need to be placed in sunlight at regular intervals. Pillow covers, bed sheets, and bed covers need to be replaced regularly.
- Air conditioned rooms can be avoided as much as possible. If it is not possible, its temperature should be set at an optimum level.
- Eating out must be avoided. We should only consume healthy and hygienic foods. Insects and pests need to be kept under control.
- Wearing mask or helmet that covers our nose completely from external air pollution is a must while riding bikes or scooters.
- If your workplace has a lot of dust or smoke, then you should always wear a mask.
- Smokers should stop smoking. Non-smokers must avoid getting too close to a smoker.
- Petting animals can be avoided as much as possible. If it is unavoidable then do not play with them by touching them physically.
- People with Hereditary asthma problems should avoid staying in hill stations and other cold places.
- If you feel anything is causing you allergies, then it should be avoided.
What are the foods that prevent Asthma?
Vitamin-C has the capacity to reduce the effects of cold and phlegm. So foods rich in Vitamin-C such as orange, gooseberries, sweet lime, and lemon can be taken regularly.
What are the symptoms?
- Breathing difficulty
- Congestion in chest
- Phlegm in chest
- Weight loss
- Mild Whistle sound while breathing out
- For some people, their face and lips can turn purple
- Feeling like pain in the chest
What are the factors that lead to Asthma?
- Cigarette smoking, and tobacco usage
- Dust from ropes and woods
- Hairs of pet animals
- Air pollution
- Cold weather
- Depression and stress
- Smoke from vehicles
- Frequent cold
- Cough problems
- Pneumonia fever
- Lung infections