One of the best things about being a biological species is sleep. It is a common thing for every living on earth. Most animals have the habit of searching for a secure and peaceful place to sleep after being active for few hours. It ensures that the place it chooses to sleep is secure and at peace. Because animals always seek for deep sleep.
Deep sleep is a must for our better health. It is during our sleep the body produces the essential energy it needs during waking hours. Sleep provides necessary rest for different organs in our body and makes us work more efficiently. It also refreshes our whole being. But due to the introduction of laptops, mobile phones, tablets, and other electronic gadgets, there is a drastic increase in the number of people who suffer from insomnia. Doctors claim this leads to many health complications.
Sleep Hormone Melatonin
Melatonin is the most important hormone that is responsible for our sleep. It controls our sleeping habits. Secretion of this hormone usually takes place within few minutes after our dinner in the night. Melatonin needs to be secreted in sufficient quantity to induce sleep. To catalyze this process we need to consume foods rich in Vitamin B6 for dinner. Some people have the habit of drinking a glass of warm milk at night. This will also aid in the secretion of melatonin.
Always include foods rich in calcium content. When we consume foods like honey, oats, corn flakes, almonds, cherry, chapati, carbohydrate-rich foods like rice, our body receives an amino acid called Tryptophan. So when you mix these foods with milk, it will induce sleep almost immediately. When you consume a banana before going to sleep, it helps with the digestion process. Potassium and magnesium content in bananas will help you to sleep better.
Some studies reveal that eating junk foods and deep fried foods at night will negatively impact your sleep and might lead to frequent waking ups during sleep.
An adult male needs 1600 calories a day and an adult female needs about 1400 calories a day. Fat calories content in this should be less than 25 percent. Eating junk foods will increase the fat calories level. These calories will take a long time to digest and delay the digestion process. When the percentage of this fat calories gets increased due to junk foods it will spoil your sleep at night.
Are you deprived of sleep?
Are you suffering due to lack of sleep? You might be a victim of insomnia. We need around 6 to 8 hours of sleep a day. If you are sleeping less than this, then you might be having insomnia. Sleep deprivation will badly affect your efficiency at work. It leads to various other problems which includes
- Lack of focus
- Memory loss
- Mental problems
- Heart diseases
- Excessive anger
- Depression and stress
- High Blood Pressure
- Weight gain
Top reasons for Insomnia
- Self-medication for certain pains and certain health conditions. These medications can temporarily stop the secretion of melatonin.
- Work pressure, sadness, fear, and failure.
- Going to sleep at different types every day. When you get to sleep at different times more often, it negatively impacts your circadian rhythm or biological clock. Develop the habit of going to sleep at the right time every night.
- Sleeping pills and painkillers should not be used more often or should not be used at all. This will lead to difficulties with sleep.
If you are someone who is suffering from insomnia, keep these reasons in your mind and alter your lifestyle based on it to come out of your condition.
Simple hacks to achieve deep sleep
People who are suffering from sleepless nights and insomnia can make use of these simple hacks to achieve deep sleep.
- Retina movement of our eyes will naturally reduce during the nights. So make sure your room is really dark, switch off the lights in the room, this includes the night lamp. Arrest all the light sources. This will induce deep sleep.
- Go for a little walk after dinner. Little walking exercise in fresh air will increase the secretion of melatonin and paves way for deep sleep.
- If you are unable to sleep immediately after going to bed, then you can listen to mild and pleasing music in low volume for five to ten minutes. Do not make use of your headphones or earphones.
- Turn to your left side while lying in the bed. This will fasten up the digestion process and makes you sleep better.
- Refrain from using your smartphones, laptops, tablets after dinner. Radiation and light from these devices will decrease or even arrest the secretion of melatonin and it can lead to a sleepless night.