Diabetes has become quite common now. It affects people of all ages and gender. Even kids as young as 14 to 15 years of age become victims of this ancient but dangerous disease. A study reveals that almost 70% of Indians living in India have diabetes. That a mind boggling number is it not?
Diabetes is not curable by allopathy medicines, but it can be kept under control with the help of medications and insulin injections which need to be taken regularly. It may seem like a common problem with many people, but it is, in fact, a very dangerous disease is the truth. Just a little internal injury could turn fatal because of diabetes.
There are alternative treatments for the same disease in Ayurveda, Siddha, and naturopathy, following treatments provided by these medicine systems sometimes promise complete cure from Diabetes. But nevertheless, it is less expensive and more nature-friendly.
One of the recent inventions in Ayurveda and naturopathy treatment for diabetes comes from this insulin plant. Its scientific name is Costus Igneous. This plant belongs to the ginger family. Florida is the native land for this plant. It is been already used by many people in Europe and they are reaping the benefits out of it.
In India, it is available in many nurseries located at Cochin in Kerala and Kanyakumari in Tamilnadu. Recently it is starting to available in many other places in India. So if you are looking for it, it should be fairly easily located at any of the nurseries near by.
This plant can be home grown easily with a little fertilizer and constant watering. The leaves of this plant have a little sour taste attached to it, but it is fairly edible.
There are two different types of diabetes. Type 1 and Type 2. Both of these diabetes types can be easily controlled with lifestyle changes and regular medications. But for some patients who are suffering from advanced stages of Type 2 diabetes would need regular insulin injections to keep their glucose levels normal.
This plant will not be of much help to people with advanced diabetes. But for those with initial stages of the disease, this plant will act as a great cure to come out of it.
How to use it?
- Just add two to three leaves of this plant into your tea (Black) and let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes and consume it.
- Alternatively, the leaves of this plant can be dried and powdered. The powdered leaves can be consumed with water in raw form.
- But proceed with caution. Always have a professional Ayurveda or Naturopathy Doctor to guide you through the process of consumption, and also the quantity.
- Additionally, the extract that is obtained from its leaves effectively reduces sugar levels in your blood. Also, it reduces the desire to eat sweet and sweetened foods.
- So it really helps a patient who doesn’t need insulin injections to control his blood sugar levels.
Wait there is a little problem
There are two types of insulin plant that are widely available in many nurseries. One is Costus Pictus, and the other one is Costus igneus. Some people claim that both are insulin plants and there is no difference in their medicinal properties. But the truth is there are slight differences. So always go for Costus igneus type plant, which will be the right choice for diabetes patients.