Most of us have knowledge about menopause, it is when period cycles in women come to a halt. Many of us are under an impression that conditions like this only happen with women. Do you know that men go through their own kind of menopause? We call it as Andropause.
So what is Andropause?
Before we get into Andropause, we need some basic understanding about testosterone hormone. It is one of the most important hormones for men. It is secreted by testes. This hormone is very important for men for their deep voice, muscle mass, hair growth, bone density, sex drive, sperm production etc.. in short it is what makes a man feel manly. Normally, men who are over 40 years of age will have low levels of testosterone. We call this state as Andropause. But, andropause sets in at different age in different individuals. For some, it can even happen at 50 years or even after that.
What are the symptoms
- Weak or brittle bones (Osteoporosis)
- Weight gain
- Lack of sex drive
- Loss of muscle strength
Solutions (Change in lifestyle)
- Eating healthy and hygienic foods
- Consuming Calcium rich foods
- Practicing easy to do exercises
- Doing walking exercise for at least 30 minutes a day
- Preventing weight gain, diabetes, and stress
- Sleeping at least 7 hours a day
- Having regular foods at the right time
- Taking proper rest after work
- Meditating for at least 20 minutes a day.
What are the medical treatments?
Some people might need testosterone treatment. But it has numerous side effects and dangers. If it is really necessary Doctor’s might prescribe medicines in the form of capsules, tablets, gels, and injections. Lifestyle changes would be the best solution to this problem.