Honey is considered as one of the best gifts from mother nature. It can both be used as a food and as a medicine at the same time. Even today many parents mix the medications with honey and give it to their babies to skip the bitterness of the medicine and also to enhance its effects.
Contents of Honey
Honey contains 40 percent glucose, it also contains another type of sugar known as fructose. Additionally, honey also contains other vital nutrients such as Vitamin A, B, C, protein, calcium, iron, copper, salt, chlorine, potassium, and magnesium. Nutrients present in one kilogram of honey is equal to the nutrients present in 12 kilograms of apples. Glucose present in honey will expand blood vessels and increases the blood circulation throughout the body. It also helps to increase the hemoglobin content in the blood.
Ways to Consume honey
- Consuming honey with ginger extract will induce hunger and increases the appetite.
- Mix a couple of teaspoons of honey in a glass of water and consume it. It will quench your thirst and make your skin glow.
- Honey along with lemon extract is a great medicine for vomiting, nausea, headache, and urinary infections.
- To treat cough, mix a couple of teaspoons of honey in warm milk and drink it twice a day.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with pomegranate juice and drink it. This will act as a great cure for cold, flu, and fever.
- Add a tablespoon of honey with hot barley and a glass of rice stock. Drink this twice or thrice a day to cure digestion problems, cough, throat infection, lungs related problems, constipation, and urinary infection.
- To cure liver-related problems, take a glass of warm water, add half a lemon extract, 1 tablespoon of honey and drink it twice a day.
- Replace face wash with honey. It will not only make your face glow, it will also cure pimples and other skin problems.
To Reduce Weight
To a glass of carrot juice, add a teaspoon of pepper powder and 1 tablespoon of honey. Drink this the first thing in the morning to reduce weight.
Add one tablespoon of honey to lemon water and drink it twice a day.
When you consume 1 or 2 tablespoons of pure honey without adding anything to it, you will start to lose all the excess and bad fats in your body. It will also make you appear beautiful and attractive.
To a glass of warm water, add one tablespoon of ajwain seeds powder and one tablespoon of honey. Drinking this mixture regularly will cure all the digestion related problems.
New mothers can apply honey to their nipples to cure the wounds and rashes in it.
Honey as a Medicine for Stroke
For people who are affected by stroke, after every meal take a glass of lukewarm water and add 2 tablespoons of honey to it. Make them drink this mixture regularly for 3 weeks. You will start to notice a considerable improvement in their motor functions after this time period. When you continue this medicine for 2 months, they will gather more energy to take care of themselves without any need for external help.
How to Identify Pure honey
Honey has been used as medicine and as a food for hundreds of years. So adulteration in honey is not something new to this generation. Honey production has seen a huge boost in the recent past due to industrialization and artificial honey farms. This increase in honey production has increased adulteration in honey as well. Also, do you know that honey ranks first among foods that can be easily adulterated?
Honey loses its benefits and medicinal properties when it gets adulterated. So here are some quick tips on how you can identify the purity of your honey.
- Honey doesn’t form layers of different shades when it is stored in a glass jar. A pure honey will maintain a uniform color throughout the jar walls.
- Pure honey is highly viscous and has high density. So take a tablespoon of honey and pour it into a cup, check if it forms a thin thread as it flows down. Impure honey will flow down faster.
- Take a glass of water and pour a teaspoon of honey on top of it. Pure honey will settle down to the bottom without getting mixed or dissolved in water.
- Add a little honey to a cotton ball and set it in flame, pure honey will burn like oil does.
- Heat a little honey in a steel vessel. Pure honey which is highly viscous will start to lose its viscosity as it heats up and starts to flow freely. Turn off the heat and cool it down again. Once cooled the honey will recover its viscosity and density.