Before we proceed any further with this article, let me make one thing very clear. Natural and unprocessed foods are always the best source of vitamins and minerals over supplements. Some people have the habit of taking supplements whenever they feel weak, or when they are deprived of nutritious foods. But, is it a good practice? Can supplements and multivitamin pills be used as a source of energy? Who can consume these tablets? What is the actual purpose of these tablets?
What is multivitamin?
Vitamins and minerals play many vital roles in our wellbeing. We source them through our foods. But, when you fail to consume nutritious foods, you may experience vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Multivitamin supplements can help you in these situations. In other words, when you consume multivitamin tablets for a day, you get your essential dose of vitamins and minerals for that day.
What are the nutrients present in these tablets?
Multivitamin tablets contain two types of vitamins. They are fat soluble and water soluble vitamins.
Vitamin – A, D, E, K are fat soluble vitamins. Excessive intake of these vitamins can lead to many bodily ailments.
Vitamin – B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, and Vitamin-C are water soluble vitamins. Vegetables and Lentils are rich in this kind of vitamins. High levels of these vitamins are not a threat to your health, as they are easily expelled through your urine.
How to detect Vitamin Deficiency?
- Through Blood test.
- Tests that are carried out to detect malnutrition.
- Experienced Doctors can detect Vitamin deficiency just through your bodily symptoms.
Who needs it?
- People who have vitamin deficiencies.
- Diabetes patients.
- Pregnant women.
- People who suffer from malnutrition.
- Those with indigestion problem.
- People who suffer from malabsorption syndrome.
For the attention of people who consume multivitamin tablets without Doctor’s direction
- Consuming fat-soluble vitamin supplements without Doctor’s advice can lead to many health problems and severe side effects.
- Water soluble vitamin tablets contain high levels of B-complex. Consuming these tablets in high quantities can lead to undesirable side effects.
- Some vitamin tablets are restricted to people with certain health conditions, and some should only be taken by the restricted group of people. There are types of vitamin tablets that should be consumed only by people with Vitamin deficiencies. On the contrary, there is another type of vitamin tablets that should be consumed by people with excessive levels of vitamins. So, before consuming these supplements you need to properly tested for vitamin levels in your body.
- Packaged and preserved foods will have high levels of fat soluble vitamins. So, it is better to avoid these foods completely.
What are the effects of consuming multivitamin tablets without Doctor’s advice
- Inflammation in face, lips, tongue, and throat.
- Stomach problems.
- An undesirable taste sensation in the tongue.
- Excessive and frequent urination.
How to acquire multivitamins through foods
- All the fresh vegetables and greens are rich in vitamins.
- Nuts and lentils are rich in most vitamins, they can be consumed regularly.
- Apple, orange, and citrus fruits can be regularly included in your diet.
- Eggs and meat can be consumed for two days a week.
- Sunlight is an excellent source of Vitamin-D. So spending 20 minutes a day in mild sunlight is good for your health.