Milk plays a very important role in our daily life. It has many medicinal properties which include prevention of cancer, reducing bad fats, increasing metabolism, and strengthening the immune system.
There are two major components that are present in milk protein. They are Casein, and Whey protein. 80 percent of milk protein constitutes for casein, and rest of the 20 percent constitutes for whey. Both these components have many health benefits which ensure good health.
Some of the benefits of milk protein
- Helps with digestion and cures many stomach disorders.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Increases metabolism thereby increases growth.
- Strengthens the body’s immune system.
- Prevents occurrence of cancer
- Milk protein is rich in bioactive peptides. These peptides are sourced from the amino acid.
Benefits of Glycomacropeptides
- Increases the secretion of stomach acids and thereby eases the digestion process of peptides.
- Encourages the growth of good bacteria known as bifidobacteria.
- Prevents caries tooth.
- Protects us from harmful virus and bacteria.
Whey water or whey protein is the remains of what is left after milk curdling and straining process. This water is usually pale yellow or greenish in color. Whey water contains lactoglobulin, lactalbumin, glycomicropeptide, proteose peptane, immunoglobulin, and serum albumin.
Beta-lactoglobulin reduces blood pressure. Alpha-lactalbumin strengthens the immune system. As it contains high levels of tryptophan, it makes us feel more energetic and happy. It reduces the number of apoptosis cells in our body which is responsible for the death.
Immunoglobulin: It Increases immunity in babies.
Lactoferrin: It is responsible for absorption of iron in the intestines. It also regulates the level of iron that is transferred to the body cells.
Benefits of Lactoferrin
- It reduces the number of cancer cells in our body.
- It strengthens the immune system.
Carbohydrates in milk
When we consume milk, sugar or lactose, it provides us with more energy. Lactose increases the absorption of calcium and magnesium by our intestines. Lactose plays a major role in the fermentation process. So it is very vital for all the milk products that involve fermentation.
Probiotics are nothing but consuming micro-organisms which enhance our health by protecting us from infections. In other words, these are good bacteria that keep our gut clean and free from infection. Lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria are commonly used in the manufacturing of probiotic food products.
- Around 56 percent of functional foods constitutes for probiotic milk products.
- Benefits of Probiotic milk products
- Helpful for people with lactose intolerance
- Can reduce the level of fat content in the body
- Cures stomach and intestine disorders and also keeps the gut in good healthy condition
- Prevents the formation of cancer cells
- Prevents ulcers and other stomach injuries