It doesn’t matter how much we love our kids, and how much we enjoy seeing them around every single day, we have to let them move on at some point in our life. Separation from kids does create a sort of mental disturbance in parents.
It is normal for the parents to feel depressed when their kids leave them. But this depression can transform into a disease if not given proper attention.
No matter how their child’s life turns out to be, both personally and professionally, parents never fail to love their children. But when a point comes in life when their children have to leave them, they undergo a mental trauma. We call this mental disturbance as “Empty Nest Syndrome”. As most men are engaged in their work for the most part of their day, they are not much affected by this problem. It is women who are most affected. Also, it’s mothers who spend most of their time with kids. If it’s a single mom, then the problem is even more elevated.
Moms do undergo some changes during these times. They always keep talking about their child, want to spend most of their time alone, and always feel sad. They will always feel worried about their child’s safety. Some parents avoid moving out of their home and stay locked. Feelings of regret lurk their minds.
How to cope up with this?
Mom’s expectations with their kids need to be more realistic.
Comparing their kid with other’s must be avoided.
Moms must have a better understanding of their kid’s situation, and also, be aware of their future.
They should get rid of the thought that their child is not looking after them.
It’s really important for moms to feel more confident in these situations. With advancements in information and technology, it is always possible to be in touch with their child. So, it is important to learn to use mobile phones and tablets.
They should spend more time with their relatives and friends.
Most women are aware of their passion, and things they always wanted to do, but couldn’t because of their kids, so it’s high time they start doing indulging in those activities.
They should spend more time on entertainment and interact with other people.
Becoming friends with other parents or moms who are in a similar situation, and sharing experiences will help a lot to reduce stress.
Having right food habits, and practices like yoga and meditation will be of great help to keep the mind under control.
How to Prevent?
There are some easy and simple ways to prevent empty nest syndrome problem for single moms. Let us take a look at those.
- Realizing that it’s the next phase in their life when their kids leave them.
- Taking right foods at the right time and doing regular physical exercise can be of great help.
- Not interfering with their child’s life way too much.
- Becoming aware of the fact that their kid will leave them at some point in their life, and get mentally prepared for it in advance.
- It’s necessary to keep their mind under control. Giving more importance to their child’s future, and giving them all the necessary freedom.
- Joining courses or classes to make new friends and to avoid being alone.
- Going on for a vacation with friends and relatives.
- Getting rid of unwanted fear in mind is the first step to deal with this problem.
Hope these simple tips helps single moms to overcome their unwanted problem. Be happy and stay happy.