Modern lifestyle demands most of us to wear shoes and socks on a daily basis. People in various fields irrespective of their positions wear shoes. It is even mandatory for students to wear it in many schools. Some people wear it before leaving their homes in the morning and only get the chance to remove it at night. There are people who do not wash their socks make others uncomfortable in the entire office or classroom. Some youngsters do have the practice of wearing shoes without socks in the name of fashion. Are these practices really advisable and healthy? What is the real benefit of wearing shoes? and what are the problems associated with it?
Benefits of Wearing Shoes and Socks
- There are many varieties in socks. Some are thick, some are soft, some are made of cotton, some are thin, and there are socks that are specially prescribed by Doctors. Each of these socks has its own purpose and use. Thick socks can be worn during cold and winter seasons. Thin socks are good for kids. Cotton socks are good for summer. There are special socks available for people with varicose veins and diabetes.
- Socks absorbs the sweat during summer. It keeps us warm during winter. Some studies reveal it protects us from nearly 50% of the chillness in cold season.
- Socks protects us from yeast and fungal infections that caused due to sweating in foot region. People who regularly use socks won’t have cracks in their foot.
- As Injuries and wounds in diabetes patients take a long time to heal, It is mandatory for diabetes patients to regularly wear shoes and socks to protect their feet from injuries and scratches.
Problems with wearing shoes and socks
- When shoes and socks do not fit in properly, it can affect the blood circulation in the foot. Using rightly sized shoes and socks will prevent this problem.
- It is a bad practice to wear shoes without socks. Doing so will lead to injuries in foot fingers and smelly foot.
- Excess sweating can lead to excess fluid secretion in the foot. This can lead to numbness in the foot. So wearing tight shoes must be avoided.
- After removing socks, foot must be washed thoroughly and dried well
- It is necessary to wash the socks regularly. Socks can get smelly due to bacterias released from the foot, bacterias on the outside, and yeast infections when it is not clean and washed regularly. Dirty socks can cause skin infections.
- Roaming around in wet socks is very bad for health. If socks and shoes get wet during the rainy season, it should be changed immediately. Because rain water can contain many microbes and germs. When we roam around in wet socks it will spread infections and diseases everywhere.